Friday, January 9, 2015

Healthy 2015

My first blog of the year is completely "out of the box".  The great thing about blogging is that it secretly holds you accountable.  In 2015, I plan on including healthy recipes on our blog.  It's no surprise that I love to cook but I want to change my family's personal eating habits.  The reality is that my family will eat anything that I put in front of them.  I'm extremely blessed.  However, this means that I have no excuse to cook unhealthy.   

Hopefully, you will find some tasty recipes over the year that your family will enjoy!  I have started a board on Pinterest labeled Healthy 2015.  You can follow it here. Thanks for allowing me this little "cyber space" to hold myself accountable.  Bon Appetite!

Our first recipe of the year is Italian Meatball Sliders.  I have cooked this twice in a week.  In our house, it received 6 thumbs up!!  Until next week...



Italian Meatball Sliders Recipe
Photo: Johnny Autry and Randy Mayor;
Styling: Cindy Barr and Leigh Ann Ross


1 tablespoon olive oil, divided 
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 shallots, finely diced
1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), toasted
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (depends on family salt preference)
8 ounces lean ground turkey
2 (4-ounce) links turkey Italian sausage, casings removed 
1 large egg 
1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce 
12 slider buns, toasted

1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add garlic and shallots to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until shallots are softened, stirring frequently. Combine shallot mixture, ricotta, and next 8 ingredients (through egg) in a medium bowl. Shape mixture into 12 (1-inch) meatballs; flatten each meatball slightly.

2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add meatballs to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning once. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until meatballs are done. Top bottom half of each bun with 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce, 1 meatball, and top half of bun.

No comments: